Monday 16 June 2014

When a Busy Sewing Bee gets Buzzed out

The intention was to make this a short(ish) post but started rambling, so will blog the actual "make" separately! 
There have been quite a few blogs lately, regaling sewing burnout and fatigue, and I have to say I too have felt a little along these lines, with my sew-mo-jo dwindling; or perhaps its more of a case of sew-overwhelme. I seem to have the inability to either say no or the ability to take far too much on! 

It started out with this Irish Dance Dress (this was the first outside commision I'd taken on and can wholeheartedly say THE LAST!) After a few fitting problems, I was more than relieved to finally hand it over to its new owner, (they'd worn it once but too big on the waist so had to refit the skirt and I can assure you this is no mean-feat with the under construction)- anyhow, new owners thrilled with the final piece and proved itself on its second outing, where the wee dancer did brilliantly in her grade solo dances-(mum came and spoke to me at the said Feis). So you can imagine my dismay to receive an email 3 days later saying the the skirt was ruined as it was all snagged and expecting me to replace!!
Without going into too much detail, the tone was left as such that I was regarded responsible to put it right! Any advice on handling this sort of thing would be gratefully received... has anybody had issues with others they have made for? how have you handled it?                                        
                                                       
A while back I offered my services to friends who are getting married this summer by being part of the bunting team...they going for a vintage theme ...
Don't get me wrong, its lovely to be involved, but eight weeks before the day (6 wks now) and I still have outfits for me and little Wyatt to make!! 



For Big Wyatt
                                                        
Found this beautiful Westfalenstoffe fabric on Dragonfly fabrics  after reading a blog from Jane @ HandmadeJane and theres a 15% discount until the end of June!!!

Little Wyatt 
              



I still have a birthday present to complete for a friend's girlfriend -
a shirt style dress in this lovely cotton 


And as for making a summer school dress for a friend granddaughter- well she might get it for next summer!! ooooerrr
Just to top this mayhem - I am now teaching two classes a week at the College where I work- as the normal tutor is poorly its only for 6 weeks but ....two nights is a big chunk out of your week even though its great fun! 


Reflecting on this post, I think the moral of this is, don't take on more than you can actually sew!!  
So tell me have you ever over committed your talents or are you good at keeping your skills honed in? 






1 comment: